B. Thayer Associates is an established Engineering, Architecture, Landscape Architecture and Survey firm with headquarters in Woodbury, Long Island and a satellite office in Long Island City. Queens.
We are seeking to fill a full-time Survey Instrument Operator position based out of our Woodbury office that will involve field work across Long Island, New York City, and occasionally beyond. Candidates must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather, and at night on some projects.
The successful candidate will become one of BTA’s field crew members assisting the crew chief in collecting all the data needed. Some of the responsibilities the successful candidate will include (but are not limited to):
- Being a member of the survey crew
- Operating a variety of Survey Equipment, including but not limited to total stations, levels, GPS equipment
- Keep survey vehicle stocked and equipment maintained
- Understanding work and project safety plans
- Daily data reduction and data clean-up
- Assisting crew chief in preparing neat and legible field notes and sketches
- Assisting crew chief interpretation of and understanding of various survey documents, including maps, plans and other boundary records
- Coordinating with office personnel to maintain needed levels of survey supplies
- Assisting crew chief in calculations necessary for the completion of daily survey projects
The successful applicant will be able to walk long distances carrying survey equipment, be prepared to work in the road when it is safe to do so, be physically able to open manholes to measure inverts and perform all other tasks a land survey crew might reasonably be requested to perform. Candidates must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather.
- A preference for an Associates’ Degree (2-year) in Land Surveying or related disciplines
- Two (2) years experience on a Land Surveying crew doing a variety of work
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the USA
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record are also necessary
- Previous experience with GPS receivers, total stations, and data collectors, and with differential leveling techniques using both optical and digital levels
- Previous experience with Laser Scanning equipment preferred but not required
- Ability to travel or work overnight for some assignments
- Ability to use hand tools that might include shovels, sledgehammers, and cutting implements
- Good interpersonal skills to work with both clients and team members.
- Previous agency work, such as NYCDDC, NYSDOT, NYC Parks, would be beneficial but is not necessary.
B. Thayer Associates offers competitive salaries and an expansive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Disability, Life, and Vision Insurance, as well as a 401k plan and an employee-friendly workplace with flexible work hours.
We follow all NYS and CDC COVID-19 guidelines, including staying 6 feet apart, hand sanitizers, and face masks.
B. Thayer Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/V/D
Please click here to email cover letter, resume and salary requirements.