B. Thayer Associates is an Architectural and Engineering firm located in Woodbury, Long Island, and Long Island City. Founded 30 years ago, our success is rooted in the diverse talents of our team of professionals.
We are seeking to fill a full-time Survey Crew Chief position based out of our Woodbury office that will involve field work across Long Island, New York City, and occasionally beyond. Candidates must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather and at night on some projects.
Some of the responsibilities the successful candidate will include (but are not limited to):
- Leading a survey crew
- Close coordination with Project Managers, Clients, and office personnel
- Data reduction and review to assure accuracy and completeness of work
- Interpretation of and understanding of various survey documents, including maps, plans and other boundary records
- Assuring compliance with work and project safety plans
- Preparing neat and legible field notes along with ability to explain daily progress to office personnel and project managers
- Understanding work plans and project goals as expressed by project manager and other office personnel
- Identifying specific equipment need to accomplish work plans and meet project goals
- Keeping a project log identifying work goals and progress made
- Generate CADD file of daily work product
The successful applicant will be able to walk long distances carrying survey equipment, be prepared to work in the road, when it is safe to do so, be physically able to open manholes to measure inverts, and to perform all other tasks a land survey crew might reasonably be requested to perform. Candidates must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather.
- Preference given to an Associates’ Degree (2-year) in Land Surveying or relate disciplines with preference given to a Bachelors’ Degree (4-year)
- Four (4) years’ experience on a Land Surveying crew doing a variety of work
- One (1) or more years as Crew Chief
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the USA
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record are also necessary.
- Previous experience with GPS receivers, total stations and data collectors, and with differential leveling techniques using both optical and digital levels.
- Previous experience with Laser Scanning equipment preferred but not required
- Must have demonstrated experience as a crew chief.
- Ability to travel or work overnight for some assignments
- Ability to use hand tools that might include shovels, sledgehammers, and cutting implements
- Good inter-personal skills to work with both clients and team members.
- Previous agency work, such as NYCDDC, NYSDOT, NYC Parks would be beneficial, but is not necessary.
B. Thayer Associates offers competitive salaries and an expansive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Disability, Life and Vision Insurance as well as a 401k Plan, and an employee friendly workplace with flexible work hours.
B. Thayer Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/V/D
Please click here to email cover letter, resume and salary requirements.